Supervises an integrated team of accounts receivable, accounts payable and farebox staff members, managing resources, workflow and business processes in support of the Accounting Department. Supports the Assistant Controller through regular communication regarding the day-to-day operations and offers recommendations to improve internal controls, procedures and processes.
- Maintains the general ledger in the financial accounting system ensuring accuracy and integrity of data.
- Responsible for the ongoing changes of account additions and/or account change requests within JD Edwards.
- Prepares a variety of detailed monthly reconciliations checking for accuracy and conformity to accounting practices, researching any outstanding items and making correcting journal entries as required.
- Investigates outstanding amounts; compares figures and amounts to previous periods; prepares month-end and year-end accrual journal entries; corrects errors or omissions and advises Assistant Controller of any concerns.
- Prepares and posts monthly journal vouchers.
- Manages the batch posting for all Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable batches and the review and sign off of all their journal vouchers.
- Performs weekly review and sign off authorization of all employee cheque requisitions and travel expense claims.
- Manages the day pass monthly tracking for returned day passes, monthly fare revenue and bus tickets redeemed.
- Completes on-line EFT monthly Federal Government Propass revenue and weekly on-line Pension plan submissions.
- Supports the annual financial audit process.
- Provides WCB quarterly Contractor reports to payroll.
- Manages the Corporate Procurement Card Program (PCard); reviews and posts monthly reconciliation journal voucher; sets up new users, ensures all paperwork is complete and signed off.
- Manages prepaid travel accounts and any credits associated with these accounts.
- Collaborates with the Senior Accountant to provide information and data required for audit binder, lead sheets and quarterly reporting.
- Ensures financial records under responsibility are maintained in compliance with corporate policies.
- Oversees cheque and EFT preparations along with supporting documentation for payment ensuring appropriate authorizations are obtained in accordance with the organizations delegation of authority.
- Covers for weekly cheque run and cash flow forecast liaising with responsible departments, weekly EFT and Payroll authorizations in the bank and the creation and submission of foreign wire payments.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the farebox room, ensuring that the counting, processing, recording, and depositing of all farebox collections on the BC Transit Greater Victoria bus system (LTC & VTC) is accurate and secure.
- Prepares an annual capital business case summarizing the capital replacements and major capital repairs required for the farebox room.
- Negotiates and manages external vendor contracts in regards to farebox cash pickups, and delivery.
- Participates in division/corporate activities to assess and evaluate financial and resource management risks and needs, performance measures, and best practices; identifies, implements and supports change initiatives and continuous improvements.
- Manages all aspects of staffing including recruitment and selection, scheduling, supervision, coaching and developing, performance management and all other people management practices.
- Liaises with a variety of external government and financial agencies including external auditors, British Columbia Investment Management Corporation, Pension Corp, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, and the Office of the Comptroller General.
Education and Experience
Post secondary degree in Finance or Accounting combined with a professional accounting designation plus a minimum four (4) years progressive supervisory experience; working in a unionized environment an asset. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered. Strong knowledge of accounting standards (experience in public sector accounting preferred).
- Occupational Health and Safety Knowledge – Is knowledgeable about workplace health and safety, places high importance on safety and diligently follows safe operating procedures; promotes and displays a positive safety attitude and is proactive about safety for themselves, peers and customers.
- Customer Service – Demonstrates a commitment to public service, serves and satisfies internal and external customers, holds themselves accountable for quality outcomes.
- Planning and Prioritization – Proactively plans and organizes work activities and priorities; manages several tasks at once.
- Leadership – Inspires and motivates employees to increase engagement, deliver results, accomplish tasks and achieve goals; provides feedback and coaching to enable employees to be successful and develops them for potential future positions through the application of the Performance Management Program; recognizes employees whose actions support the vision, values and objectives; identifies inefficient practices and/ or processes and implements strategies and solutions to optimize the use of corporate resources and assets.
- Influence and Negotiating – Uses persuasion to gain the support and cooperation from stakeholders, superiors, colleagues, subordinates and other parties to achieve a desired course of action consistent with BC Transit’s goals and objectives.
- Interpersonal Relationships – Develops and maintains effective relationships with others, relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy and politeness.
- Technical Knowledge and Continuous Learning – Applies and acquires new knowledge and skills including new and emerging trends or information in the industry; sets and pursues learning/ growth opportunities and goals.
- Initiative – Identifies opportunities and issues, and proactively acts and follows through on work activities to capitalize or resolve them.
- Collaboration – Builds an effective team that understands and supports the vision, values and objectives of the organization; shares the strategic direction, provides clarity as needed and recognizes team accomplishments; proactively works with team members to address and resolve any conflicts.
- Communication – Provides regular, consistent and relevant information to others and ensures appropriate individuals are informed; listens carefully to others, asks questions or clarification and responds thoughtfully; communicates in a clear and concise manner using appropriate content, style and method of communication to suit the needs of the individual or audience.
- This position requires the completion of a Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Search.
- An eligibility list may be created to fill future vacancies as required.
BC Transit Offers:
- Extended health
- Life insurance
- Medical Services Plan (MSP) group coverage
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Pension Plan
- Employee fitness centre, at both the Victoria and Langford depots
- A complimentary BC Transit bus pass, plus 2 taxable dependent passes
- Career development and advancement opportunities
- Social Club
- Employee Recognition Program