3 healthy slow cooker recipes
Its that time of year for being cozy, eating comfort food and sharing awesome slow cooker recipes! Using a slow cooker is one the most convenient ways of cooking, besides getting someone else to cook for you! Nothing better than coming home after a long day of work to a healthy, warm and delicious meal all ready for you to devour! Slow cooker meals can be a very healthy, as well as comforting and satisfying. The other bonus is that they are SO easy to make!
Here are my top 3 favorite slow cooker recipes!
Slow cooker recipe #1 Beef and sweet Potato Chilli
This meal is so delicious, packed full of lean protein, and will last you up to a week! Perfect for lunches or for dinner.
1 pound extra lean ground sirloin
4 cups (3/4-in.) cubed unpeeled sweet potato
2 1/2 cups beef stock
2 cups chopped yellow onion
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons chilli powder
a pinch of cayenne pepper OR chipotle chilli powder to taste, if you like heat
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 (14.5-oz.) cans unsalted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15-oz.) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
How to Prepare:
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add beef to pan and cook, stirring often until it separates and mostly browned, about 4 minutes. (Do not eat it as the beef will not be fully cooked.) Remove from heat.
Next, Combine the sweet potatoes and next 11 ingredients (including the black beans) in a large, 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in the beef. Cover it and cook on LOW for about 7 hours. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro. Ladle the scrumptious chilli into your bowl and top with remaining cilantro. If you like cheese, add some shredded sharp Cheddar cheese on top!
Slow cooker recipe #2 Vegan Slow-Cooker Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
Completely vegan, and made with delicious coconut milk- this recipe will make even the most serious meat eaters beg for your recipe!
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 medium yams or yellow potatoes, diced
1 tablespoon indian curry powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you like heat-add it!)
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided in half.
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes with the juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce) bag of baby spinach
handful of fresh basil leaves
1 cup coconut milk (save until the end)
How to Prepare:
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, season with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the yams or potatoes and 1 teaspoon of the salt, and sauté until just translucent around the edges.
- Stir in the curry powder, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and cayenne (if using) and cook until it smells irresistible and fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in 1/4 cup of the broth and scrape up any brown cooked bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer this onion-potato mixture into the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups broth, chickpeas, bell peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes (and the juice), pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. The liquid should come about halfway up the sides of the bowl; add more broth as needed. Cover and cook for on the HIGH setting for 4 hours.
- Finally, stir in the spinach and the coconut milk. Cover until the spinach wilts. Serve into bowls, with brown rice or quinoa. Add fresh basil leaves for a garnish.
Slow cooker Recipe #3 Balsamic Chicken with vegetables
- 2 c. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 c. baby red potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 c. good balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 c. liquid honey
- 2 tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large slow cooker, add Brussels sprouts and potatoes in an even layer, covering the bottom. Place chicken on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, chicken broth, honey, mustard, dried thyme, rosemary, and oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Pour the delicious marinade over the chicken and vegetables. Then add the garlic, scattering all over.
- Cover and cook on high until chicken is falling apart and tender, about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Serve onto plate and garnish with parsley.
If you liked these recipes, be sure to check out my easy delicious breakfast recipes as well!
With Love Health and Happiness,
The Fit Gypsy